Day 26- National Park Tour: Glacier National Park

Sunday July 31, 2016

Fast take-down for the Texas troupe and then we said our good-byes to them. 


They were out of camp by 9 and the kids kept sleeping. Christopher and I messed with the atlas for a bit and then the kids got up and we all enjoyed apple cider and tent take-down. We decided to stop at the Apgar Visitor Center for the Jr. Ranger pledge before breakfast, but we got there in time for a ranger talk, and learned more about wildlife at this one than any other on the trip. 


After the Jr. Ranger pledge with a great ranger, it was off to breakfast, which had turned into lunch, in West Glacier. The Huckleberry pulled pork sandwich was good and the brat with roasted veggies was a hit, but the buffalo fries stole the show, especially when dipped in ranch! Satisfied by lunch, we said goodbye to Christopher, and then we headed home. I chose to take 89 south from Browning instead of taking 15 to 90 since we had done that trek on Thursday up to Glacier. I'm so glad we chose the smaller road; very little traffic and the views were spectacular! 



My plan was to camp in Gallatin National Forest since we made great time stopping only when necessary and continuing on with Lemony Snicket all the way. I never found a road to get us to Gallatin NF, most likely because I missed the signs, so we continued on to Billings. 

Hotels were pricey and I got lazy so WalMart saved the day! We took the carseats out and the kids cuddled in the back seat while I put my seat back and spent the night in the driver's seat. 3 bathroom trips before we were all settled in for the night by midnight with Chuck Roast telling me that sleeping in the car made this 'the best night of our whole month long camping trip!' I always feel awkward sleeping in the car, but when your tucked in the middle of 30 or so trucks and cars and campers, it feels okay. I am glad I resisted the urge to hang out with the people in their lawn chairs having a cold one in the tiny patch of grass along the edge of the lot ;)

Comments