Big Plans for 2019

It's been a hot minute since I've posted. And frankly, a lot has happened since I last checked in. I am definitely not a blogger by trade and I do not have a knack for it. But I'm still here and trying to share the things that make me happy as an individual person, not only as a mother, partner, daughter, teacher, etc. And new Curling Instructor. And if you're around the first weekend in February, grab a beer or Kombucha at Little Thistle Brewing Co. and watch us throw some rocks at Froth, Frost, and Flannel!


So, 2019 is more focused on me than I realized. I've been fighting against the pull to be vegetarian instead of vegan. I thought Veganuary would give me the push I was looking for, but apparently the push needs to come from deeper inside of me. I have always been more intrinsically motivated but seek extrinsic motivation regularly. It just never satisfies me the way a good internal drive and success feels. I should focus more on that for sure! And the best way to start is find amazing plant-based food... like this fabulous dish!!!

Veggie Sushi from our FAVORITE restaurant in Rochester, MN, Asia Fusion!
Moral of the story, I have to get my citizen brain stronger than my consumer brain again! I need to remember that I went plant-based and avoided animal products as much as possible because of the environmental impact animal farming has and how I, as a consumer, can affect change on the consumer industry by voting with my dollar, and my mouth. This information can be found in the study Reducing Food's Environmental Impacts Through Producers and Consumers published in June 2018 in Science Magazine by J. Poore and T. Nemecek.

For more on Citizen Brain vs. Consumer Brain, watch this then read The Story of Stuff book by Annie Leonard!


So back to the plant-slant, plant-based, vegan without the junk eating! I have to prepare for some big trips that are going to push my body and mind and filling it with crap won't help. Eating in a way that doesn't support my beliefs or love of nature also won't help my mind, body, and the planet I wish to protect!

Now to the good stuff: TRAVEL and CAMPING

And they were so right! Also, this is a prime example of my Citizen Brain saying 'No, you don't need this just because it's cute' because frankly, it's not useful nor does it bring me real joy. Thanks for that measure of need, KonMari!

From now until June, I have to start planning for a few big trips. Actually, Spring Break in Florida is a big trip in April, but not in the same way- it's a family trip with my immediate family, parents, and brother and sister-in-law. Housing is secured and we'll have a car, a pool, and the beach. Exciting? Absolutely. A 'big trip' like the the usual summer trips? Not quite the same.

Big Summer Trip #1- Isle Royale National Park for 3-5 nights. This will be a trip with my partner, our kids String Bean and Chuck Roast, and my parents. We will ferry in on Saturday or Monday morning (there's not a daily ferry so we're on schedule this trip) and will be coming back to Minnesota the following Thursday. We will have 2 nights of hoteling it, which isn't my first choice of sleeping arrangements, but I'm taking full advantage since the second trip of summer happens 2 days later... This trip will also be a final shake-down; where you decide which gear is necessary, which gear isn't, and what you're forgetting. Then it's off to 270degree Overlook to start my next big trip of the summer!

Google Map satellite of Isle Royale- a Michigan National Park that's close to Minnesota and accessed by ferry or private boat.
Big Summer Trip #2- A thru-hike of the Superior Hiking Trail. EEK!!! I'm so pumped for this trip! I haven't done any backpacking since I was in high school and never without my parents. I found a friend to join me, so I'm not going solo, unless she backs out... Which I have to believe isn't happening! I started packing yesterday, weighing gear as I went. So far, without sleeping gear, clothing, or food, I'm at 19lbs. A light backpacker I am not and a shame to my aspirations of being an ultralight backpacker. But to be fair, I've never done this alone, with my own gear, and am spending as little money as possible. The plan so far is to complete the whole trip in 24 days or less. That equates to 11 miles per day of hiking. Neither of us are considered experienced hikers, so we're planning on completing the whole trail, but also know that, as our first thru-hike, plans may change. In the mean time, I have been reading the following books to get me started:


So far, The Ultimate Hang 2 by Derek Hansen has had some great insight. Oh yeah, I should mention, I've never done any real Hammock Camping other than unplanned overnight sleeps in the hammock in Zion National Park, but that's our SHT plan!


Big Summer Trip #3: Banff National Park for cousin camp! The 'end' of our National Part Tour is usually a group camp with other family members, mostly cousins, but one aunt in particular has joined as well :) So the general plan is always a few weeks of camping just me and the kids, then meeting up for a week of group camping for Cousin Camp, then the kids and I hauling our way home, happy, dirty, and exhausted! This year, I'm hoping to do a little more camping and exploring on the second half of our trip as well. 



On our way to Alberta, Canada, we'll be visiting Minuteman Missile National Historic SiteWind Cave National Park, and Jewel Cave National Monument in South Dakota. Then Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site, and Glacier National Park (for the 3rd and absolutely not the last time) for a couple of nights before heading into Canada!


Just a heads up for anyone taking notes: this is only the first plan. Here's a breakdown of how my travel planning works:
1- I make a plan
2- I change it anywhere from 10 to a bazillion times
3- I don't follow it once I hit the road

Safe travels and have fun planning!

Comments