Day 27- National Park Tour: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument

Monday August 1, 2016

About 4am I woke up to Chuck Roast getting my attention to whine to me that this was 'the worst night of the whole life.' 


The car was hot and cramped, but by 8am we were up and in the store to brush our teeth and pick up some fruits, veggies, and over-priced smoothies for breakfast. On the road again and on 90 to Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. 




This was great for history and conversation about tribes and armies and relations between the two. Other than Pumpkin learning so much, my favorite moment was when Chuck Roast ran to get me so I could 'tell the story on the animal' meaning he wanted to to tell him the story being depicted on the animal hide on the wall. The fact that he remembered that the pictures on animal hides told stories made me a proud mama. He also picked up a book of Sioux myths for grandpa as a belated birthday present. Once the Jr. Ranger books were done, I was ready to go since home is all I wanted! 


Pumpkin wanted to stay and learn more, but I didn't have anything left in me so we piled into the car and made it through Wyoming, South Dakota, and Minnesota.  Dad travels for work and was staying at our house and I had to call him to unlock the bolt of my front door at 1:30am. We had called from West Glacier to say we'd be home Wednesday, but I couldn't wait to get back, so we made it home without sheets on our beds. I didn't unload the car other than the kids and my purse and all three of us slept on my unmade bed without even changing. We were exhausted! Dad left early for work so the kids never even saw him but they sure were glad to wake up in their own home in the morning!

We were unpacked and the house put back together by the time my parents came back Tuesday night for dinner. We missed the neighborhood picnic and the Rainbow Family Playgroup at the Rochester Public Library, but being home felt so good the kids LOVED spending the evening with grandma and grandpa!

Comments